RECIPES AND HOW TO'S

In my original blog I just intermingled the recipes I mentioned in the blog. Many found this hard to follow. So in an effort to make the blogs more user friendly I am posting all the recipes and how to's for all the blogs here. I hope you like this new format. -Jan `

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Week 2 Zell's Cornbread Dressing


                        Zell's Cornbread Dressing

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation
--------  ------------  -------------------------
  1           whole  recipe cornbread

  1           whole  recipe biscuits

  2           stalks  celery -- diced

 1/2          to 1  onion -- diced

  1           teaspoon  poultry seasoning

 1/4          teaspoon  sage

 1/4          teaspoon  thyme

  2    whole  eggs -- beaten

              chicken or turkey broth -- enough to make mixture soupy

              salt and pepper -- to taste
 
When I am making this recipe for my family I make an 8 x 8 square pan each of cornbread and homemade biscuits.  I then use 1/2 the pan of cornbread and 8-9 large biscuits.  These I crumble fine and mix together adding one or the other until I am pleased with the ratio of cornbread to biscuits.   Grandma Zell would adapt her recipe by how many of the family were there.  If she was short on biscuits because we all ate them for breakfast she'd use light bread, buns or whatever she had on hand, but her bread of choice was biscuits.  

I often will mix all the dry ingredients  celery and onions together and then freeze them in smaller serving portions for a homemade version of stove top stuffing.  Dehydrated onions and celery work well for this recipe. 

On the day I am going to cook it I will beat the eggs into the cooled broth so they will mix into the dry ingredients well.  Then I add enough broth to make a soupy mixture of however much of the stuffing mix I am using.  

I spray the cooking pan with cooking spray and then add the soupy dressing mixture.   For the 3 of us I generally use an 8 x 8 square pan.  The whole recipe will make a 9 x 13.


Depending on how much dressing I put in the pan it will need to cook in a 350 oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  I start it out covered with foil to prevent excessive browning.  You want to cook it until the center is set and the edges are browning. 

OTHER USES FOR THIS MIXTURE 

I often use the dry/celery/onion mixture as a coating mix for chicken, pork chops, turkey pieces, beef, vegetables.  Simply coat your meat pieces with either a milk/egg wash, or Miracle Whip or mayonaise. and then cook until done, just as you would with Shake 'n Bake 

Description:

  "Measurements are iffy on this, I'v entered it the way I received it from my husband's grandmother.  It's a holiday must for the family."
   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 187 Calories; 10g Fat (49.5% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 424mg Cholesterol; 212mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.


NOTES : This dressing is good to add pork, turkey or chicken pieces either mixed in or baked  laying on top of the mixture to make a full meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment